- 2 3/4 teaspoons yeast CRITICAL use a measuring spoon
- 1 teaspoon malt powder
- 2 oz water at 120 degrees (NOT MORE) get a dial thermometer
- 3 cup whole wheat flour
- As much as 1 Cup may be replaced by rye,corn
- .5 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon Gluten (not critical), + 1 heaping tablespoon for each cup non wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- Sweetening, depending on batch, could be 2 tablespoon molasses, or malt vegan sugar, etc. Amount depends on whether you want sweet (raisin) or not (rye, etc. )
- 1 teaspoon salt add at end, this inhibits yeast
I commonly use a cup of rye or half a cup of rye and half a cup of corn flour + 3 T of carroway seeds. This is great with soups or for open sandwiches. This vegan bread is a bit heavy for a two slice sandwich.
Pour yeast, malt powder and water into bread machine and measure the following. This gets yeast off to a good start.
Measure out in a separate bowl the rest of the ingredients or just wait a few minutes for the yeast to take off and then add directly to machine.
(Not putting molasses in the bowl makes it easier to clean.) Once yeast is bubbling, add dry ingredients to machine and any other wet ingredients, any seeds, banana, etc. Start and watch to adjust moisture. Probably needs another oz. of water. May need more. Each batch needs to be adjusted. Should be one mass not two separate ones and machine should be able to stir without straining.